Saturday, August 30, 2014

Broadway Lights the Night

I took some time to reflect on the past year and the events of Broadway Lights the Night on July 21. When I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in September 2013, I never imagined it would come full circle at this very special event. I began my journey singing "I Have Confidence" at a church picnic before anyone knew (other than my immediate family) that I had been diagnosed and it was my own special way of telling myself that "I will be okay, I will get through this." Eleven months later, I was honored at Broadway Lights the Night as a survivor and was especially honored to be asked to sing at the event. I chose "A Change in Me" from Broadway's Beauty and the Beast. The lyrics described perfectly what I went through this past year: acceptance of my diagnosis, undergoing tests and treatments, the process of healing, and changing for the better. It was an incredible opportunity for me and the most amazing way to end my journey with lymphoma. 

But actually, the journey will never be over. I will always be fighting to raise awareness and funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and other honorable organizations, so that thousands of others diagnosed with cancer will be able to receive assistance and treatments toward a cure, like I did. It's hard work, but it's worth it.

Thank you Leigh, Ashley, Brooke, and the sponsors, especially Krasney Financial, LLC & TD Ameritrade Institutional, for organizing such a wonderful event; your hard work and dedication does not go unnoticed. Thank you Ben, for playing so beautifully for all of us. Thank you to my friends at the LLS who work so hard throughout the year to raise awareness- it has been such a privilege getting to know you and hope we work together for many years. Thank you so much Aaron Lenhart Photography and Matthew Friedman Photography Productions for taking beautiful pictures, so that family and friends who were not able to attend were able to experience it it later and that I can look back and remember my beautiful moments on and off the stage. Thank you to my fellow performers for supporting our cause and for welcoming me to the stage (a novice among all you professionals!) and your support. Thank you to Anita for coaching me (vocally and in life!), Julia, my church family and friends who attended the event, and those who supported from afar.

It was an emotional and heart warming night, one I will always remember, and hope to be part of for many years to come. I hear from people that I am strong and courageous, but to be honest, it is because of my wonderfully supportive team that got me through this year. Frozen meals, movie nights, walking with me at Light the Night, a kind card in the mail, or a text/email/Facebook message to check in on me-- it is because of you that I was able to stay strong this year and push through. "With you, I am more than I am."

Love,
Gillian

Here is the link to my photo album on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1558252291069210.1073741830.1471477149746725&type=1

No comments:

Post a Comment